Tuesday, April 04, 2006

GREY'S ANONYMOUS


The world of television is vast and winding. There are many worlds in which one can get themselves caugt up. In fact you are probably deeply involved in several worlds at once throughout the course of an average week.
Some of you may be caught in a time warp where "24" hours will take several months of intense yelling and protruding angry neck vains to get through. Others like myself may be "Lost" in the jungle of the story that never ends like the ones you told in elementary about your weekend: "and then.....and then....and then...." All lies by the way. Still others may be cornered by a certain family not to be taken lightly; "The Sopranoes."
Among my other tv obsessions ("American Idol," "Scrubs," "Local on the 8's") hides one that I'm not normally going to be forward about in public. I, similar to most men, would like to think that I posess enough qualities to leave no doubt in anyone's mind that I am masculine. Sure; I have a descent grasp on style, and I don't mind a little broadway tunage, or even some occasional gossip about friend's and their doomed relationships; but I also like to leave everything I own on the floor, flick things, scratch stuff, adjust some of the same stuff, and laugh occasionaly at the word poop. I'm a guy. Yeah. YEAH. Grunt. However, a certain television show may challenge my position even more severely than a solid shot to the netherlands. That show is "Grey's Anatomy."
I love it. And yes before you even suggest it, I would give marrying it strong consideration. My wife and I sit every sunday night and watch this soap opera (with better production quality) like a couple of old friends you'd see on Sex and the City, or Charmed, or Waiting to Exhale (in other words: all chicks). I'm officialy my wife's best girl-friend save for the scratching and readjusting. Does the fact that I enjoy the show make me question my masculinity? No. Does my ability to relate to the characters make me wonder how I am viewed by other men? Maybe. Does the fact that I, like the characters on the show, refer to Doctor Shephard as "McDreamy" make me feel like less of a man? YES DEFINITELY.
If there is a line for this type of thing, I have probably crossed it. But in my own defense, it is a notably well written show and well acted. Not to mention probably the best put together sound-track on television (closely followed by Scrubs). Every week I'm amazed at not only how good the music is but also how well suited each chosen song is for the moment. This, by the way is another not-so-masculine observation.
So what can this mean? Does this mean I am demoted into a lesser team of men like the JV c-team in basketball that I was once a member of? -Yes, I said C. They created a loser team to put all the losers on so we could lose when facing better loser opponents. (I'll write on this some other time.)- Am I to wear a patch signifying that I'm concerned for Merideth's and Derick's "almost-relationship". Am I to be forever branded simply because I want to know if George will ever bounce back from recent heart-break, or because I think Izzy is walking a dangerous line with a certain patient?
I don't have the answers. My genes say I'm decidedly masculine. My sunday night affliction dictates that I'm only nearly masculine. So ultimately it comes down to my anatomy vs. Grey's Anatomy. In which case, as long as there is scratching and readjusting to be done, no programing schedule will ever label me anything but a testosterone factory. Grunt!

1 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger jwookie said...

What happens if you're into 24, Lost, and Grey's Anatomy? Does that give me credit back to masculinity or do I just have too much time on my hands...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats